Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm getting a little desparate



I've been looking for a job online for a while now. There's pretty much just nothing there. At least, not for a Bachelor of Fine Arts graduate with an emphasis in painting, and in UTAH!
In the beginning I was doing mural painting right? I was in the mindset "this isn't quite what I want to do with my life, but it will be good for me to earn some money for my masters degree, it's just temporary." That "temporary-ness" became a quick reality when I lost my job last December. Nobody needed us artists anymore!! I guess people would rather pay for their homes and food than commission custom murals, weird.
So then, earlier this year I started thinking that graphic design would be a good option for me, mostly because those are the only relatively creative jobs they have listed online for UT, and you can make some pretty good money. I discussed this option with my brother, who is a professional freelance web designer. He was very excited and willing to help me along the way, he even gave me a small project to do for a company. It was a logo. I had to duplicate it. It took me nine hours in illustrator. That's not an exaggeration. I'm okay in photoshop, but I had never used illustrator before, and it showed. It probably would've taken my bro 30 minutes. Anyway, it's clear that I don't know much about graphic design and to hope for a decent job with my level of training is crazy talk.
So I've been searching in many other areas, hoping still for some association with the arts in my everyday life... and I've gotten so desparate that I considered joining the NAVY today! THE NAVY! I don't know... they just make its sound so good, everything's taken care of and you're free to travel the world and cultivate your talents... It even says "Creative professionals in the Navy Reserve have the chance to see the world from an exciting new perspective — and the opportunity to gain experience that extends far beyond the moment." http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=79189107&pg=1&dv=1&pp=25&indid=42&cy=us&where=State%3aUT&rad=20&rad_units=miles&lid=629&re=95&AVSDM=2009-05-15+00%3a44%3a00&seq=3&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000
Doesn't that sound dreamy?? Yeah..... dreamy... I CAN'T! IT'S THE NAVY!!!

No comments: