Monday, July 7, 2008

What's REALLY Important????





So many of you know (and by "many" I mean the two out of three people who read my blog, also being two of the people who attended with me) that I went to the Miley Cyrus Stadium of Fire Extravaganza.
Hordes of "tween-age" girlies and a few boyies clamored (a loud and confused noise, especially that of people shouting vehemently) and squealed (a long, high-pitched cry or noise) in the Lavell Edwards Stadium in Provo at the mere thought of Miley Cyrus on this past Independence Day.
The program began with various tributes and salutes to the abroad troops and armed forces, some of them rather moving and all of them real. Glen Beck also read selections from various famous speeches, including that of Martin Luther King Jr.
Now, I don't expect little children to be on the edges of their seats during these drawn-out tributes. But, the stark contrast between their involvement and interest in our country and in a metallic trench coat-wearing Disney-fabricated teenage pop star was all too obvious. It was enough to make me banish television as a parent forever.
My point is, these children are obsessing over something that is completely fabricated, does them no good, and in fact, wastes much of their time and creative abilities. Imagine how ridiculous it is that their mothers will spend $2000 on a ticket to enable a useless and probably damaging obsession, when children across the globe are struggling to find food and clean water.
I just find it absolutely ridiculous.
But, Miley Cyrus is just one example.
The Fireworks were amazing.


Here are some pics of the event:


They were kind of bored for a bit.
Then they went crazy when Miley came on:

I just kept thinking "what a talented musician we have in our midst":

5 comments:

ms. s. manwaring said...

Haha SO talented! An old man on the docks the other day told me his daughter banned her children from all TV. He said he didn't completely agree with that at first, but now she has a 12 year old son who loves reading and is extremely intellegent and the old man is convinced it's because of his daughter's banishment. All I'm saying is if you do banish your kids from TV, there will be a dear old man on Nantucket who supports your action.

PS happy July 4th!!!

deb said...

When I say that first picture I said, "oh dear." But then my whole attitude changed when I remembered how much fun I had screaming and pretending I was into the music and such. Good times. hey are we really going to the Hush Sound? Because I want to real bad.

Meg Duffy said...

A GEM! you are a gem.... and ALLLL I coudl think of when I read this is that - I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITH YOU. I told this to stpeh... we just... sigh... love hannah montana.

MJ said...

oh, hayley. i didn't realize how much i missed you until i started reading this blog. thank you.

Unknown said...

Talented, indeed. And full of class.